Sunday, January 11, 2015

An Open Letter to My Family and Friends

Dear Family and Friends,

It has been one week since I officially took charge of my health.  I worked so hard last week.  I meal planned, worked out (sometimes twice a day!), wore my vivofit and tracked my steps daily, and stuck to the meals that I had planned out.  Thinking about this week, I feel empowered.  I feel motivated.  I want to keep going, but I need your help.

You see, I have been "good" or on track for one week - one week.  I am trying to undo YEARS and YEARS of unhealthy habits.  I need you to realize that it is going to take time.  I am spending the time now to reteach myself about nutrition and portion sizes.  I have realized that my battle all along has really been on the nutrition side.  I am pretty active and don't mind working out.  Sometimes, I daresay, I enjoy it.  Working out isn't enough, though.  The nutrition is the part that I am struggling with.

How can you help me with this?  Here are some ways:

1.  Don't offer me food - especially sweets.  I am a bona fide sweet addict.  I struggle with controlling my sweet tooth, and it will be REALLY hard for me to turn you down.

2.  At the same time, don't judge me or say things like, "Should you be eating that?" if you do see me eating something sweet.  That could cause a couple of things to happen ranging from me throwing something at you (pretty unlikely) to feeling guilty and then secretly binge eating even more later on (more likely).

3.  Eating out may be a challenge for me.  I enjoy going out to eat.  Shoot, there were times (in my past) that I would go out to eat for every single meal of the day.  I like seeing my family and friends, and I want to spend time with you. I would love to find other ways to spend time with you.  Now, this does not mean that I will not go out to eat again.  That is just unrealistic, and quite frankly, I really enjoy it.  I am just going to have to plan to go out to eat.  That will take planning on my part and perhaps scouring the menu a little longer than normal to find healthier options,

4.  Speaking of going out to eat AND my sweet tooth - definitely don't ask me if I want dessert.  Because I am going to want dessert.  I am weak.  Help me out.

5.  Understand that I may have to avoid some situations.  They may just be too tempting at this point. For example, I may have to eat lunch in my room on the days that we have pitch-ins because frankly, our staff can bring some AMAZING food in on pitch-in days.

6.  If you invite me over to your house, please do not be offended if I ask what you are serving.  This will help me know what I can eat and what I should avoid.  It also helps me know if I am going to need to eat a little something before I come over so I don't go crazy at your house.

I am sure as I continue on this journey I am going to learn new things about myself.  There may be some other things that come up that I will need your help.  I already know that I have amazing family and friends.  I have to advocate for myself now, and I know that all of you will understand and be supportive.  Once I start to better understand the nutrition that my body needs to fuel itself in a healthy manner then it will get easier.  I just have to reteach and retrain my brain and body.

Thank you, my dear loved ones, for supporting me so far.  It means so much to me and encourages me more than each of you will ever know.  Your love and support has given me the courage to put my goals into action - which is exactly what 2015 is all about.

Love,
Me

Words of encouragement from a friend this week



No comments:

Post a Comment